FOMO vs Lyadh: The eternal struggle

The life of a Bengali Millennial is fraught with challenges in the current times. While peers are (still) partying it up, my Bongivity adds the 'wh' to Generation (wh)Y: Jetey paari, kintu keno jabo? Korte paari, kintu keno korbo? (Translation: I can go, but WHY should I go? I can do it, but WHY should I do it?). 

 

Like several niche memes say, for a Bengali, lyadh is an emotion. It is the ultimate je ne sais quoi, the very essence of being a Bengali. Lyadh is afternoon siesta; sleeping in on holidays; evening veg-outs in front of the TV or with a book; calling for a housemate in another room to come switch on the fan in the room you are in. For me, lyadh is a character trait.  

 

However, this doesn't give me a que sera sera attitude. It just makes me stay home, under covers, binge eating while I wallow about missing out on ALL THE FUN my friends are presumably having. Who knows? They might be wallowing at the parties, missing out on ALL THE LYADH I'm savouring.

 

I want to watch Pathaan. I want to go to the Kolkata book fair every day it's here. I want to go out to cafes and have coffee and croissants. I want to watch a new crime show. But I need about 10-15 business days to actually carry out any of the aforementioned plans.

 

Speaking of Pathaan, it feels like the opportunity is slipping through my fingers. I had wanted to go watch it alone. But then figured I would require a companion to share vibes with. One mustn't watch a masala film alone. But I've been unable to make time (can't wake up in time to catch a show before I have to go to work, and my day off is a weekday when no one else is free). Most of my friends have watched and rewatched — some because, come on! SRK (me as well), and others to spite the boycott brigade (also me. I'm besharam like that).

 

I went to the book fair on a weekday afternoon to avoid the heaving crowd. Forgot to carry shades or umbrella, ducked into merely two stalls before fleeing the heat, and still suffered through a headache later on. This visit smacked of unfinished business. I went back on another evening, got intimidated and irritated by the amount of people there, and promptly left through another gate. Unfinished AGAIN. 

 

Post work, I have been rewatching old favourites on OTT platforms instead of starting on a new show because, at that moment in the day (rather, at the end of it), I don't want to invest in a show that will need me to pay attention.

 

All of this has been happening over more than a week. And throughout, while I've been lazing around, sleeping more, reading a little, I have also been gripped by the fear of missing out. Lyadh has had a winning streak.

 

But FOMO might just prevail.

 

I have finally made somewhat solid plans for the movie. And I WILL go to the book fair in the relative emptiness of the afternoon armed with sunglasses. The series will have to wait, however. I can only make myself do so much before lyadh resurfaces.

 

I'll be keeping the new show and new book for the second half of the month. After I've taken a break. I really do live a cycle of '15 days of lyadh' and '15 days of FOMO'. 

 

The struggle continues.

 

Comments

Popular Posts